“Sing unto the Lord a new song!”
Welcome to my online home! My cantorial career began at a very early age, singing on the bima with my father, Cantor Jeffrey Shron (currently of Overland Park, KS) from the age of two. My father’s mentoring and inspiration continues to guide me in my role as cantor of Little Neck Jewish Center. Since 1993, I have served as full- and part-time cantor in numerous synagogues throughout New York and New Jersey, and have trained hundreds of b’nai and b’not mitzvah students along the way – a role from which I continue to derive much “nachas”.
A few fun facts about your cantor:
- I often travel with an entourage. If you have not yet met my wife, Mairov (pronounced may-RAHV), and my four kids Simcha (11), Ellie (8), Sela (5) and A.J. (3), you soon will. My children tend to make their presence known, often to the horror of their parents.
- I take requests. If you’ve attended a shabbat or holiday service at LNJC, no doubt you’ve heard some of my favorite “shul tunes”. But now it’s your turn. Everyone has a favorite synagogue melody – either from their youth or from more recent experiences. Please tell me about your favorites! I would love to incorporate them into our service.
- I like to share. I am certainly not interested in “hogging” the bima. Far from it! If you would like to lead a service, read the torah / haftarah or LEARN how to do any of those things, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
- I am at your service. I am typically at the synagogue each week on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons – but am always available to talk. Feel free to get in touch with me anytime by phone, by email (email@example.com) or on Facebook.
Finally, I would like to share one of my extra-curricular activities with you. If you have an interest in contemporary Israeli music, or just want to hear what your cantor sounds like on the radio, I invite you to tune in to my weekly radio program, “The Israel Hour.” Though you probably can’t get the on-air signal here in Little Neck, we stream live on the Internet every Sunday from 11am – 12pm at www.wrsu.org, and pre-recorded shows are always available at www.israelhour.com. Please tune in…and let me know how we sound!
There are few things more uplifting than a spirited synagogue service. I invite you to join us each week for some of the most enjoyable Shabbat services you’ve ever attended. I look forward to seeing you at Little Neck Jewish Center!
Cantor’s Links and Resources:
- Friday Night Live song recordings. On the first Friday evening of each month, our Kabalat Shabbat service transforms into a joyous celebration of the onset of the holy day of Shabbat – complete with spirited singing, dancing, harmony and RUACH! Guaranteed to be one of the most lively service you’ve ever attended! Click on the link above, and get to know the songs we sing before you come.
- What Can Contemporary Israeli Music Teach Us About Israeli Society? My special presentation delivered at LNJC’s Tikkun Leil Shavuot on Tuesday evening, June 7, 2011 – featuring several Israeli music videos.